Thursday, April 22, 2010

Day 27: Sid's Country Cousins

I had to make sourdough bread today or throw out a one-cup scoop of the starter. I made two loaves of "Country Crust Sourdough" from the Southern Living Cookbook (1987). I have been stressed all week to get things done around the house. I haven't made bread in a few days and I had no more blog entries. Charlie has a broken arm. James is having a rough few weeks of work. The dog wants out. The dog wants in. Laundry might get finished today (relative term: finished. HA!). The house needs to get cleaned. I need to tailor some school work for Charlie. The dog wants out again! I need to get the steak marinating. And then, I need to make bread.
Bread. It's typically a 3 hour ritual. Not that I am consumed for 3 hours, but the process takes about 3 hours from start to finish. So, carving out time to fool with mixing, kneading, checking the rising dough and cleaning up the mess all with little breaks thrown in throughout the process is sometimes tricky to figure out. But I did it!
This is Sid (my sourdough stater who happens to be 42 days old today) and the beginning of the country cousins (two sourdough loaves).
I mixed everything and then I had to knead the dough for 12 minutes.
I stuck the country cousins in Bob to rise. About 45 minutes later, I peeked inside and saw this:




Once the country cousins finished singing baking and the house was infused with smell of sourdough bread, I introduced Sid to the cousins.
We all got along quite well.

No comments: