Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day 17: One a Penny, Two a Penny

HOT CROSS BUNS!

Mr. Friend and my boy Friends (sons) say these are their favorite thus far. I made them for Good Friday. I know, I know, Friday is supposed to be "fry-day" (fried bread day) but, it was Good Friday, the Friday before Easter Sunday. And Hot Cross Buns are traditional Easter fare.

Wikipedia:
"Sharing a hot cross bun with another is supposed to ensure friendship throughout the coming year, particularly if "Half for you and half for me, Between us two shall goodwill be" is said at the time. Because of the cross on the buns, some say they should be kissed before being eaten. If taken on a sea voyage, hot cross buns are said to protect against shipwreck. If hung in the kitchen, they are said to protect against fires and ensure that all breads turn out perfectly. The hanging bun is replaced each year."


Oops. I forgot to keep one to hang in the kitchen to "ensure all breads turn out perfectly". Didn't kiss them either. I did share the buns though.
Here's what I did:
I made the dough. The spices I used were: cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg and raw sugar. When mixed together, they combine to make what reminds me of South Padre Island, TX beach sand. I had to take a picture! See the resemblence?

I rolled the dough out flat and sprinkled on raisins and the S. Padre sand. I folded the dough over itself and pressed it out flat again and sprinkled more raisins and more S. Padre sand and repeated that process once more.  And then, I pinched off 18 little pieces and rolled them in my  hands to make little balls. I put them on a greased cookie sheet and let rise in Bob and then baked them. Then, I had to wait. The house smelled of cinnamon and yeast bread. Wait. I crocheted. Wait. I got caught up on my hometown news via the Mineral Wells index. Wait. I prepared the icing (which should have been thicker). Wait. The buns need to be completely cool before icing them. And then....
I ate one.

1 comment:

Gail said...

And I ate one too at church on Saturday night. They were sooooooo good!