Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Day 11: Sid's Sourdough Showdown

I now have a dimensionally-correct pan!

It was a sunny Monday at mid-day. The Sid and I had a date with destiny. This would be Sid's first time. Mine too.

It started like this: Yeast, warm water and sourdough starter (Sid) in a bowl. I added the flour. I had to  mix this dough by hand. No Kitchen Aid powerful mixer could be used. Just me, my wooden spoon (metal reacts with sourdough) 5 1/2 cups of flour and elbow grease. Sid and I made dough.



We made two loaves. The one on the right is all snug in my new pan (with the correct dimensions). The one on the left is resting in my old, dented pan (See Day 4 for details). I placed these two loaves in Bob so they would rise. Then, I had a little competition on Facebook asking people which loaf will co-operate, the one on the left or the right? It was anybody's game. And then, half through the rising time, I peeped into Bob and saw:

You can imagine what I thought/muttered/shouted. Although, I half way expected it. That's why I was taking bets. The "Left"...left us. And, I was left with the "Right" to continue rising and baking. It looked conservative and well...right.


However, the "Left" became more... wrong.

I had to think fast. What to do with the destruction of  "Left". Ah hah! I'd roll 'em up and make little rolls. Forget brushing oil on them, I sprayed them with Canola Cooking Spray!

Meanwhile, "Right" was getting it's smell on in the oven and the aroma was permeating my house. It was difficult to concentrate. I was in love. The fragrance of Sid's "Right" absolutely un-did me. I waited close to Bob, not wanting to leave the room. I was anticipating the taste of the warm loaf. I was a bit nervous when thinking about it, would it be all that I was hoping for? Or, would it fall short of expectations?




I pulled the loaf out of the oven and allowed it to cool (not long though). I sliced into "Right" and ate the first slice. Mmmmmm.

And then, I remembered the "Left" and what all had transpired. Expansion. Big Bread that now has to support more of itself by creating more divisions. But, that's the way "Left" rolls. (Sorry for the pun). I now had to support 9 little rolls of bread and hope that they could all rise uniformly. I was in too deep to turn back now. Being that Bob was too hot for young, fledgling rolls, I had to settle for the little room down the hall. It wasn't quite warm enough, but it was all I had. And it was warmer than the rest of the house. Will this plan work?
It looks like we made the best of it. Nine little sourdough rolls, four hungry people. How do we divide this evenly? I guess I'll  "sample" one and then do a re-count.

No comments: