Friday, March 18, 2011

a misspelled question

"Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the desert being being tempted for forty days by the devil."  Luke 4:1-2a 






I think it is very important to read in Luke 4 about Who lead Jesus into the desert. There is a clue in there as to Who helped Him speak the very Word to cause the devil to back down. I believe this Who is also key in our living our lives as Christ followers.  Jesus said all who believe in Him will be filled with the Holy Spirit.

I believe it is up to us to allow the Spirit to lead us. I think so many times, I see where God, through His Spirit would want to take me and if it looks uncomfortable or like there could be a "devil" there, then it must not be God or even Spirit-lead, so I actually end up denying the Spirit rather than the flesh. What would have happened had Jesus said "no" to the Spirit leading Him to the desert to be tempted by the devil?

Notice how Jesus didn't avoid the desert. I avoid.

I know you know what I'm talking about.
I'm specifically talking about not buying cookies.
Or making cookies.
Or having cookies anywhere in the proximity of where I live.
I'm talking about not having to listen to the little package of cookies call out my name from wherever they may be stashed. Avoidance. How easy it is. I am wondering if it really is me resisting the temptation or is it really me avoiding the test all together?

If I change one letter, in one word, in that verse in Luke 4, then the story of Jesus being lead by the Holy Spirit into the desert to be tempted by the devil would read like this: "Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the dessert being tempted for forty days by the devil." For you A+ spellers out there, I just changed a dry, arid place into a French bakery. Desert becomes dessert.



This is getting trivial in a light-hearted way about something seriously spiritual. So, thanks to the English language, we'll just change one word so we don't have to dwell on this any longer. "Then Jesus, being filled with the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness being tempted for forty days by the devil."

There, that should remove any attempt at relevancy to my life. No need to dwell there. I'm so glad I avoided those questions.

No comments: