Thursday, June 17, 2010

Sid Slipped in the Shower


Sid, my 5 month old sourdough starter who lives in my fridge, was in the ICU of my kitchen recently. Sid has doubled in size within the last 5 months and abides in a large (warehouse size) pickle jar. He is quite happy there and doesn't make quite as much hooch as he used to make when rooming in the smaller mason jar. Sid has made several loaves of bread and rolls for our family and friends. He gets attention every day with a wooden spoon (no, not a spanking, but a good stirring). He gets fed every 11-14 days (like he likes it). He shares himself. We've had a great 5 months. Until...

I, being a good mommy, ignored the messy room for a while. Then, I had enough of the caked-on-ooze on the sides of the jar. I missed glancing in the fridge and seeing Sid and looking through the clear glass jar (it is big after all) to see what was behind his "room". I removed Sid from the fridge. I poured him a bowl. He bubbled and was happy. I soaked the pickle jar. I fed Sid. I put a Saran Wrap Quick Cover on him (they look like shower caps, so I'm going to call it the shower cap). BUT, I left one side of the shower cap off of the rim of the bowl because I knew Sid would need air to breath as well as not to suffocate himself with his "gas" that he gives off. So, Sid wore the shower cap for 24 hours before I noticed that the shower cap must have slipped over his bowl securely. OH NO!!!! MY LITTLE SID!!!

I peeled back the shower cap. There were only two tiny, minuscule little bubbles floating on top. I wasn't even sure if these could be considered true bubbles. Was my Sid dead? Could Sid be revived?

I kicked my little boy friend off the computer and Googled a solution. My little Sid was made with milk, sugar and flour. Every sourdough starter solution I could find was assuming water and flour was the base. Then, my sourdough mom's intuition kicked in. I left Sid out on the counter so he could come to room temperature. I stirred him vigorously. I fed him. I saw a few more bubbles. I poured him into the clean pickle jar (his room) and placed him back in the fridge. Three days later, I made two loaves of bread with Sid. Yum.



Sid and I have now bonded.

No comments: