Wednesday, September 3, 2008

September Mornings

45 degrees is the low at night. We still sleep with the windows open. We freeze our patooties off. We like it. I'm digging out my flannels. The air in the morning smells of burning fireplaces or woodstoves from surrounding homes. That, mixed with the smell of pine and cedar trees. Ahhhh...

I have spent 37 years in Texas and this is typically a hot month (literally) for hurricanes. So the air gets really still, really humid and really hot and sticky. Sometimes, September is worse than July and August combined. So, my body is once again adjusting to the climate up here. I know I write alot about the weather and acclimating to the environment; but it really is one of the more significant physical changes with living somewhere that is in a different region all together.

I am missing my friends and family back in Texas. Really. I am having a difficult time this week. We've made friends up here, but there is just something terrific about having friends who know where you've been and see your faults and still love you. The getting-to-know-you part is over and you and they are fitted nicely together like pieces sewn into a quilt. It's comfortable. It's easy. It's cozy. You feel and know you are equally yoked and can therefore share each other's burdens with joy and understanding. I miss that. I miss camaraderie. I miss spontaneous get-togethers. I miss having tea or dinner with the girls. I miss girl road trips to small towns. I miss double dating with other couples. I miss my favorite restaurants (Ricos, Los Cucos, Pappadeaux). I shouldn't dwell on this. It makes it worse. If you are reading this, please pray for us.

The boys are still wanting to make a neighborhood friend. They, too are missing friends we left back in Texas. We ALL had such deep and meaningful friendships in Houston. *sigh*

Enough of this belly-aching'! I shall go occupy myself with a good book. :)

No comments: